The front door closes and the kids start to go about their afternoon rituals. Snacks, talking to friends, homework and maybe an evening activity.
But have you taken the time to see how their day was? Not just “How was your day?”
There are many different ways to find out more about school and learn more about your child at the same time.
Ask questions that are open ended. Anytime you ask a yes or no question you have to be prepared to get only one word back.
Try one of these questions afterschool today:
- What is the new song that you are learning in choir/band right now? Which part is your favorite of the song?
- What was the best thing that happened at school today?
- Tell me something you learned about a friend today.
- What would you pick for school lunch if you could have anything you wanted?
- Are there any changes that you would want to make at your school?
- Who is your favorite teacher and what do you like about them?
- If you could be Principal for the day what is the first thing that you would do?
- Which rule was hardest to follow today?
- If one of your classmates could be the teacher for the day who would you choose? Why?
- On a scale of 1 to 10 how would you rate your day? Why?